Monday, April 20, 2009

"You can't take it with you"

Yesterday I was thinking about preserving my "valuable" things in life- the expensive stuff. Which for some reason got me thinking of the scenario of what if there was a fire and I could only grab a few things. What would I take? I thought of course of the important documents like Birth certificates and social security cards, my wallet,scriptures....and diapers and food to hold us over. And then I thought of what if I could take multiple trips and get other stuff I wanted. And I realized very fast how many worldy posessions I would miss. This made me think of how I always say "It's just stuff. It's not important." But me considering wanting to go back and get all of our valuable items made me realize that I hold them higher than I keep telling myself. Technology and modern day appliances are wonderful inventions, but do I really need an ipod?

What my thoughts came down to is yeah I would miss my convenience items if such an event were to occur, but as long as I got out with my family and my faith still in tact everything would be alright!

These thoughts also came due to the fact that Reed's bike was stolen and then returned a few days later.( my mom spotted it while they were in town- by a tree near our apartment) We were upset since that is Reed's main transport to school so that we can save on gas, but after the first feelings of being upset and "how could someone just take it!" We both said "well its just stuff we will figure something out." I also lost my ipod that; I was fortunate enough to havein the first place, at my parent's house while I was visiting recently.

Thank you person who stole and then returned Reed's bike- we learned a valuable lesson...but we are also very grateful that you decided to give it back!

Our NOW locked up bikes- my bike of course was not stolen- either the person was a boy and it was too girly, there was only a need for one bike, or mine was not as expensive as Reed's. Why they returned it we don't know but either way we are glad it is back!

1 comment:

Chad and Becca said...

It's crazy how much we thing we really need! So when we were first married Chad had a bike and we kept in on the back porch...stolen, never saw it again. Then we replaced it and kept it out front. He usually locked it up but he didn't because he was fixing it and figured no one would take it in pieces...wrong! lol I guess it just made it easier to throw into a car! lol He is now on his 3rd set of wheels in 4 years and keeps it locked all the time! lol YOu live and learn, and sometimes you have to learn a few times for it to stick! I am glad Reed got his bike back!